logo

Tripped Circuit Breaker: Short Circuit

Tripped Circuit Breaker: Short Circuit

A tripped circuit breaker problem can be caused by several things. One culprit could be a short circuit which is caused when a hot wire touches another hot wire or a neutral wire. Typically a circuit breaker will trip because of an electrical current overload, but a short circuit electrically can be a bit more serious. This problem is most likely in the electrical wiring and should be corrected immediately in order to prevent damage or a more dangerous situation.

An electrical short may be caused by wiring inside the interior walls of the home or caused by something plugged into an outlet. If you suspect a short in a device that you have plugged into an outlet, you should first check the exterior of the cord. Look for wear on the outer covering or any exposed wires. Also check to see if there is an odor or burned smell. Brown or black discoloration can be a sign of wires touching or damage. A damaged cord should be replaced or repaired immediately. Exposed wires should never have electrical current flowing though them.